Monday, August 28, 2006

My First Song

So a couple years back, Ray Charles got a lot of play. There was a hit movie, Ray about his life.
Jamie Foxx totally nailed the role. Excellent movie, rent it the next chance you get.

Anyways, that is not the point of this post. As ever, it takes me a while to get to the point.
That same Christmas (I'm gonna say 2005), I received the soundtrack CD as a gift.

It is a great disc, I love it. One song stuck out for me, and that was I Can't Stop Loving You

When I was a tyke, I rode it the middle of the front seat of my daddy's car. I had my own steering wheel complete with a horn I could beep at will (and I did!). Listening to this song, it brought it all back, riding with Daddy, beeping my horn and listening to Ray Charles.

Sure enough, the song was released in 1962, when I would've been four. It's my earliest recollection of pop music. In fact, if I remember aright, this song made the Country Charts.

I listen to it today, apart from the flood of good memories it brings back, it's a damn good tune, and Ray's soulful interpretation is just plain genius.

1 Comments:

At 9:04 AM, Blogger get zapped said...

Ray stems back to my childhood, too. Riding in the car with my folks, while the 8-track player bellowed Ray's "Hit the Road Jack", I was never the same after that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home