Sunday, September 24, 2006

Five Words I Never Hope To Hear Again

"We have no more beer". Thus spake the bartender at the little bar in Chicago's O'Hare airport, terminal C. I was on my way home from LA, connecting through Chi-town when the sh-t hit the fan.

Violent thunderstorms, torrential downpours, even a tornado or two, left thousands of travelers stuck, hoping their planes would eventually make it out to their destination. Needless to say, the bars in the airport were doing a brisk business. Brownie and I were gonna wait it out, have a couple drinks and make the best of it.

THEY RAN OUT OF BEER! This was a first for me, in all my years as a beer drinker. I've never been in a bar that ran out. I guess I always had a naive belief in the bottomless tap.

I was stunned speechless for several seconds, but then managed to order a couple Bombay & Tonics (and a couple more after that). The day was saved, at least for a while.

Alas, our flight was canceled and we had to spend the night (sans luggage) in Chi-town. We got home the next day without incident. Of course I stopped at Market Basket on the way home and bought a bunch of 12-packs. Guests to my home will never hear those five words, I promise!!!

1 Comments:

At 11:34 AM, Blogger Pete Lyons said...

A classic case of olfrygt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home