Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Yankees Stink

18-23, 10 1/2 games behind the Sox.
You know what? I'm ok with that.

I've been a Yankee fan for over 40 years. Apart from this remarkable run of the last dozen years or so, and a couple great years in the late 70's, the Yankees have stunk for the vast majority of my time as a fan. I don't think they have to win the American League East every year, like they have for the past NINE years in a row.

The most encouraging sign I see is that the Yankees are returning to investing in the farm system. Forget the big bucks, quick fix (read Giambi, Rodriguez, Abreu...). Develop and bring up the youngsters (Cano, Cabrerra, Hughes..). As a fan, it is much more satisfying to root for a bunch of home-grown players, rather than mercenaries. I'm ok if it takes a few years before the Yankees are on top again. Give me a team I can root for!

People forget that the heart & soul of the great championship teams of the 90's (Jeter, Rivera, Pettitte, Bernie Williams, Posada, ) was entirely home-grown. In fact, with the exception of one ill-advised detour to Houston, this exceptional group of players have played their entire major league careers for the Yankees. That is nearly unheard of in today's game.

GO YANKEES! Do it right.

My only request is that we get Mariano, Derek, Jorge, et al one more ring before they call it a (great) career.

2 Comments:

At 8:18 AM, Blogger Pete Lyons said...

Hallelujah! You've seen the light! Oh wait, you haven't. Rats. Go Sox

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger lesdcog said...

Mike Kudla .... it's been a long time. Are you that depressed about the Yankees? They've bumped their record to 37-41, still sending 3 to the All Star game. We know each other from Roch...I'll try to contact you to discuss the merits of the NY Mets who are now 46-34! All the best....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home